Saturday, December 4, 2010

Local ice hockey in Invermere

3rd December 2010 Aaron and I went to our first ice hockey game. Columbia Valley Rockies (our team) verse Revelstoke Grizzlies. It was crazy!! I lost count of how many fights there were?! The game is split into 20min thirds and the clock is always stopping like AFL. It is weird watching ice hockey compared to field hockey because they can kick the puk with their skates and they can catch it and put it down on the ground! And SO physical!!! The Rockies ended up losing by I think 7-2.

The game started at 7:30pm so Aaron and I went into town on the 5:15 bus to grab some dinner. We were going to go to Peppi's Pizzeria but could not find it! I asked a local where it was but he believed it was shut and invited us to his local Legion's club, which is the same as an RSL (a club for all the Veterans). His name was Ray and he introduced us to his wife, Anne, who I had met at the Quality Bakery a few days earlier. I love the people here they are so friendly! So they signed us both in and it was only $12.50 for buffet of garlic bread, lasagne, salad and tiramisu. Bargain! And they also had free popcorn as a starter!!  Aaron and I were the youngest by about 20 years and it was so nice and local. We bought some tickets in the meat tray raffle and the 50/50 raffle. We also played some keno and won $15 woohoo! Aaron used it to try some beer (Caribou and Kookanee - the local brew) He liked Kookanee better. Everyone kept coming up and talking to us and asking if we were enjoying ourselves and where we were working in Pano.

We missed out on the Tiramisu because the ice hockey was about to start. So we gave our raffle tickets to Ray and Anne and thanked them for inviting us in. I have to find out if they won anything...
I had my orientation on the 2nd and 3rd which finally got me out of my room! It was very interesting. We met the Senior Management Team and the CEO, Rick Jensen, who was so funny and passionate. One of the Managers told us about his experience in an avalanche where he was buried in so much snow that only his fingertips were sticking out! SCARY! He was in the back country so I wont be heading that way. I still have to get on the mountain as I am still on the baby run off to the side... A few more rounds and I will be up on the green run (the easiest of them all) however it is still massive and steep considering it is only a green slope! And I am nervous for the chair lift.. I will probably fall off!

I finally have word on my job!!!! I have training Wednesday the 8th December 9-5 and Thursday 9th from 2-10. Not looking forward to the walk home at that hour! We will be covering a whole range of things such as wine tasting, menu tasting (you beauty!), setting up the restaurant, learning the cash register system and lots lots more! Cant wait. I will most likely work all of the weekend after that as Wildfire will be opening. I will have to get photos of Aaron and I in uniform and post them up for you to see :)



Aaron and I also found an ATM where we can withdraw money from!!! It is right here on the mountain so that is a massive relief!

The Kings of Neon party was great by the way. Aaron doesnt remember the end of the night.. Naughty naughty.. Below is a picture of the people Aaron and I share our Loft with. From left: Aaron, Joe (ring in), Blucky, Brianne, Jonathon, Johanna, Tobias, Bluey, Kirk (another ring in) and me!

4 comments:

  1. you look like you are having an awesome time!! I wish ant and i were still there :( keep updating ur blog aswell cos i am having so much fun reading it!!! missing you both heaps, lots of love!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again, I must say I have become addicted to your Blogs - I feel like I am there with you both... it brings back great memories of the locals, the fun, the snow... told you the Canadians love Aussies!! Hope you are both becoming aclimatised now...Harrison and Greg say hi and loved the story about the run away snowmobile

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tara!!!! we miss you too! Hope Ant had a happy birthday today.
    I will try keep it updated as much as I can :) Miss you too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Janet :)
    We are adapting quite nicely to the weather although it is only -4 during the day now and it has been snowing for 3 days non stop! Great boarding :) We plan on heading up the mountain on Wednesday together when Aaron has a day off.

    ReplyDelete