Sunday, December 12, 2010

Working at Wildfire

Aaron in his Maintenance uniform
Finally started work! It has been a long 3 weeks of waiting!

 I am the hostess so I greet the guests when they walk in the restaurant, grab some menus and show them to their seat. I then "Mis En Place" the table depending on if there are kids or not (taking away wine glasses, getting crayons and colouring in paper) then I introduce them to their server. I screwed up a few times because I am supposed to seat guests in particular sections of the restaurant and I kept getting the sections wrong so not all servers were getting tables... woops! But I got it by the end of the night. I thought it was crazy busy last night as we had just under 20 tables come in through the night but the girls were saying that is quiet and it will be crazy around Christmas time... Great! I am freaking out slightly...

The training for Wildfire was great! We did menu tasting and my favourite was the rack of ribs. The meat just slid off the bone it was AMAZING! They also have haddock which tastes like snapper, rainbow ravioli, risotto, lamb shank (also delicious!), salmon salad and much much more! We also did wine tasting as we are trying to upsell the wines and recommend the best one to compliment the guest's meal. So we tried 16 wines! Which included Cabernet Sauvignon from McLaren Vale (SA), Chardonnay Viognier, Syrah Malbec, Wishing tree Shiraz from Margaret River (WA), No Time Old VInes Garnacha from Spain, Valpolicella Ripasso, Fontella Ghianti, Wine by Joe Pinot Noir, Schug Chardonnay, Wine by Joe Pinot Gris and Canaletto Prosecco. Pretty lucky hey!!


Me in my Wildfire outfit
 I have been working 4pm-10pm which is pretty crap as Aaron works 7am-3pm so we literally pass each other on the road as he comes home and I go to work. And I am asleep when he leaves and he is asleep when I get home. So I have asked the boss if I can have daytime shifts. I have the next three days off so that is good. Aaron and I can finally have dinner together! I am working on Thursday during the day serving!! The manager Scott said he is impressed with my wotk (why wouldnt he be?!) so he is going to have me try serving yippee! Then I am working 5pm-11pm on Friday, Saturday & Sunday.
I also attended a two half day orientation for Panorama which involved a lot of team building exercises like taking your boots off and grabbing some elses and finding that person... Nightmare!! There was like 100 of us and it wasnt very well thought out.. Took forever just to find a matching boot because someone else was looking for the same boot!

We tooked a lot about safety and a guy from maintenance told us of how he had been in an avalanche in the back country and only his fingers were sticking out of the snow. Crazy! No back country for me!!!! I havent even been up on the slopes yet! Am going to go to the ski school and ask if I can book in a lesson..


My Spaghetti Squash concoction

We also talked A LOT about Occupational Health and Safety which was a tad boring but the procedures need to be known.

Aaron and I went down to Invermere a few days ago and stumbled across a shop called Grants. It was amazing! They had grass-fed chemical free meats! We bought some Elk sausage and it was SO dark!! Almost the colour of dark chocolate! I cooked it up last night and made sausage stuffed peppers (capsicum) and they were pretty awesome. Elk tastes like beef and lamb mixed together so pretty tasty!

We also bought some spaghetti squash which they dont have back home and it is like a pumpkin that you stick in the oven and it turns all stringy and you use a fork and empty out the pumpkin and it looks like spaghetti! So we had that for tea two nights ago with a marinara sauce. Yummo!
The elk sausage stuffed into capsicum

No comments:

Post a Comment