Friday, January 7, 2011

The new addition to the family, Toboganing & Snowboard lessons!

We bought the car! 1998 Ford Taurus station wagon. Its burgundy and is so nice and roomy. Everything is automatic - windows, central locking, cruise control, seat adjusting, you name it! Its an automatic and has a column shift (the gear stick at the steering wheel) so I will have to get used to that not being my indicator! Aaron has been the driver so far and it was a slow ride up the mountain as it was his first time driving in town, and off the mountain and to add to the stress of it all its been snowing hard for the past 3 days and we are driving on the wrong side of the road!!!! We made it though so good work Aaron :)

Getting the car insured was a pain in the butt. We didnt bring our passports with us when we caught the businto town, which were required for the paperwork so Dave (the seller) drove us up the mountain to collect everything then back down which is about an hour round trip. We bought him lunch at Ray Rays. So we got the car for $1800 and insurance and registration cost us just under $600 which is for 6 months. Ouch!

This took up Aaron's weekend so we didnt get out snowboarding. But we went toboganing last night down the Magic Carpet with Dane and Gina which was pretty fun. No epic crashes but I did get one of Aaron's on video.. hehehehehe!!

Aaron was back at work today enjoying the last few days of snow (which is still coming down hard by the way) I on the other hand, woke up early and went for a snowboarding lesson!! I was supposed to be tagging along with another girl but she ended up going on a ski lesson so lucky me got a one on one! John, my instructor, took me down Magic Carpet three times to see where I was at (a very beginner trail) then we caught the Mile One chair lift and went down Horseshoe twice, Show Off once then Horseshoe to finish off. My knees are nice and bruised as I am always falling onto them on my toe turn. John said I need to stick my hips out to avoid face planting which I am a professional at mind you! :) My neck is a little sore from my tumbles but overall I am not falling down as much and my confidence is slowly creeping up. So I will be heading out next week again depending on what my shifts look like. And Aaron and I will definitely get out on his weekend this time!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi again. we are swamped here with the tragic Qld floods so it is nice to read your recent news and have a laugh...I face plant really well too, and wear padded pants to protect my butt and lower back - might be a good investment for you guys as you get more daring on those steep slopes... good news about the car... love to you both

    ReplyDelete